There are several famous cycling events that take place in Tuscany throughout the year, including:
- Strade Bianche: A one-day race that takes place in early March and features both men’s and women’s races. It includes sections of white gravel roads, which adds to the challenge.
- L’Eroica: This vintage cycling event takes place in early October and features a 205 km route that includes sections of gravel roads and steep climbs. Participants are required to use bikes that are at least 30 years old.
- Giro d’Italia: One of the biggest cycling events in the world, the Giro d’Italia usually includes at least one stage that passes through Tuscany. The route changes every year, but it’s always a highlight of the cycling calendar.
- Gran Fondo Pinarello: This Gran Fondo takes place in June and includes two different routes – one that’s 105 km and one that’s 180 km. It’s a popular event for amateur cyclists who want to test themselves on some of the region’s iconic climbs.
- GF Strade Bianche: This is a newer Gran Fondo that was created in 2018 to coincide with the women’s Strade Bianche race. It includes a 139 km route that takes in some of the most beautiful roads in Tuscany.